Mathematics is needed in various branches of knowledge and aspects of life. In everyday life mathematics plays an important role, to master the basic mathematical operations such as arithmetic operations of addition (+), multiplication (X), the reduction of (-), and division (:), it is compulsory for students. However, learning in school today tend to apply the concept of memorizing in learning these operations mainly on the operation of multiplication and division. So that students just memorize the results of the operation without knowing the basic concept of the operations.
For that, in learning this time we design a learning design division by using the context of candy that has been common and very close to the students. Furthermore, we lead the students to find their own concept of division as repeated reduction by implementing a game of “divide the candy with the dice”.
a. Students can learn the concept of division as repeated reductions through the game of “divide the candy with the dice”.
b. Students are able to perform operations with the remainder and division without remainder.
3. DATA DESCRIPTION
In this activity, we started learning to deliver learning objectives and motivate students to concentrate more in this time of learning by doing questions and answers with the students using the context of “divide candy”. Teacher calls one of his students (shasa) and asked him to call some other friends and share some candy to his friends. If students can share fairly (without rest), then the teacher calls another student a couple of extra to get chewing gum so there is not divisible. It is intended to introduce the situation informally about sharing with the rest and without rest.
Then we divide students into small groups consisting of 3-4 people to make a game of “divide the candy with the dice”. Here are step-by-step learning process of division, using the game
1. Students are given a realistic contextual contextual issues in an effort to introduce the concept of division. Students are given a number of candies in suspense (15 items), then Student asked to throw the dice and if it comes up as number 6, then the student must take 6 candies and put one by one into 6 paper plates. Then take 6 candy again and put one by one, and so on until the candy runs out. This activity is performed 2 times.
2. Stages of problem solving and finding the concept of division is repeated reductions. At this stage, assisted by teachers and students are directed to find the concept of reduction by doing this game without making mistakes. At the beginning of the game there are a confused group to divide the candy into a paper plate that has been provided because they do not read the existing putunjuk. For that, we guide students to follow the instructions given in the LKS
3. Discussion Phase. At this stage, after they do the game, students are directed to discuss the games that have them carried out by answering the questions contained in LKS. At this stage, children are invited to present what has been done and what has been produced, to submit and write their opinions in front of the class. Here, the students are very enthusiastic in delivering his opinion, although there are students who make mistakes, we as teachers, not just say it as a mistake, but we discussed it to other students, about the answer and finally, students can realize the mistake he made with the itself. This is what we call interactivity. Do not forget we also give rewards to students who dare to answer, and issued his opinion in the form of pictorial stickers smile. It is also intended to give encouragement and awards for their involvement in the learning process
4. Reflection Phase. At this stage students are helped to tie the game “to share the candy with the dice” with the concept of division is a reduction in repetitive. In this stage appears brilliant ideas from the students by relating the number of the dice that came with the paper plates they must provide in the game above. And how many times they take a number of candies in the bag until the candy is gone or still there is nothing left in the bag. In this stage there are students who have begun to be aware that the division is a reduction in repetitive. For that we ask students to explain the idea to other friends. In addition, there are students who finally stated that the amount of candy left in the bag is the remainder of the division
Within this observation time the main problem found is how to instill the concept of division is a reduction in recurring to the students. In which we carry out these activities there are some obstacles that we face. Among others, there are groups who ashik do not pay attention to the game so peunjuk given by the teacher. And also, there are still students who are shy to express his opinion and did not participate actively in the group. This happens because the students are not familiar implement learning in groups. Based on interviews with one student after the lesson ended, the students stated that they rarely do the learning groups.
To anticipate this, we give a reward in the form of pictorial smile stickers to students who dare to express his opinions even if wrong. It aims to stimulate students to dare to express his opinion. And gratitude, it’s working. Although there are 1-2 people who are still shy.
In the process of discussion, a process of exchange of knowledge from fellow students, this happens when a group of 4 (Dienan, Raihan, and Riski) presented the results of their discussions. As seen below:
From the picture above it appears that there is a difference in response between groups 3 and 4 of the results of throwing dice when they appear the same die that is 3. This is directly addressed by other students, so we also provide the opportunity for the group to give his opinion. Risky representing four groups explained that they just draw a candy because candy is there only one kind of thing is getting a serious response from group 3. We also provide the opportunity for groups of three to respond. Shasa also as representatives of group 3 explained that merekamenggambar each 5 candy at each plate because the dice that came up was 3 and they draw each 5 candies each plate dikarnakan they mengambila candy from the bag as much as 5 times..
From the answers Shasa, finally a group of 4 to realize their mistakes, because they are the type of chewing gum without counting the number contained in a plate. At times the proven learning students can divide the candy secar fair with the rest and there is no rest. This in shown in the following student worksheets:
From the figure above shows clearly, that the students can tell which division with remainder and without students. When the dice that came up was 6, the students perform the division by dividing one by one candy into 6 plates one by one as much as 2 times, so each dish get 2 candy candy and 3 others were not incorporated into the plate, but draw it out. That is the third candy is the remainder from 15: 6. From these experiments, it appears that students are able to understand the operation of division with remainder and without residual
Here is a division of Iceberg learning using the game ‘share candy with the dice’.
From the results of the implementation of the above study, it can be concluded as follows :
- By guiding students to carry out the candy to share a game with dice, then the student can find his own concept of the division which is a recurring reduction.
- Students can distinguish between the division with remainder and without residual
- Students can perform operations division with remainder and no remainder.